In the ever-growing world of subcompact crossovers, the 2024 Kia Seltos emerges as a compelling option, offering a unique blend of style, space, and driving enjoyment. This article delves deep into the 2024 Kia Seltos, covering everything from its standout features to its performance on the road.
The 2024 Kia Seltos has firmly established itself as a noteworthy contender in the subcompact SUV segment. Nestled between Kia’s smaller Soul and larger Sportage models, the Seltos boasts a slightly larger footprint compared to its rivals, allowing for more cargo space and passenger comfort. This stylish crossover receives a refreshing update for 2024, enhancing both its exterior and interior appeal. Whether you’re seeking an efficient daily driver or an adventure-ready vehicle, the Seltos has something to offer.
What’s New for 2024?
Exterior Refresh: The 2024 Seltos receives a facelift, featuring a restyled grille, updated lighting elements, new wheel designs, and a distinctive rear light bar connecting the taillamps. These changes enhance its visual appeal, making it even more attractive on the road.
Interior Upgrades: Inside the cabin, you’ll find a revamped infotainment panel with two large screens, providing a modern and user-friendly interface. Additionally, the traditional shift lever has been replaced with a rotary controller, adding a touch of sophistication to the interior.
Enhanced Turbo Engine: The optional turbocharged 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine now generates 195 horsepower, a 20-horsepower improvement over the previous model. Paired with a new eight-speed automatic transmission, this powertrain offers spirited performance.
Introducing the X-Line Model: Kia introduces a rugged X-Line variant to the Seltos lineup, featuring unique exterior styling elements that cater to those with a taste for adventure and a love for off-road aesthetics.
Pricing and Trim Options
The 2024 Kia Seltos offers a range of trim levels to suit varying preferences and budgets:
- LX: Starting at $25,715
- S: Starting at $26,315
- EX: Starting at $27,115
- X-Line: Starting at $30,015
- SX: Starting at $31,315
While the top-tier SX model comes loaded with features, the best value is often found in the EX trim. It includes faux-leather upholstery, a 10-way power-adjustable driver’s seat, heated front seats, a wireless smartphone charging pad, and the new dual-screen infotainment system with in-dash navigation. All-wheel drive is available as an option for those who require it, making the Seltos a versatile choice for various lifestyles.
Engine, Transmission, and Performance
Kia offers two engine options for the 2024 Seltos:
1. 2.0-liter Four-Cylinder: This base engine produces 147 horsepower and comes with a continuously variable automatic transmission (CVT). While it may not satisfy speed enthusiasts, it provides adequate power for daily driving.
2. Turbocharged 1.6-liter Four-Cylinder: For those seeking a more spirited driving experience, the turbocharged engine is the way to go. With 195 horsepower and an eight-speed automatic transmission, it accelerates briskly and offers a satisfying level of performance.
Regardless of the engine choice, all-wheel drive is standard on most trim levels, ensuring confident traction in various driving conditions. The Seltos impresses with its sharp handling and a balanced ride quality that sets it apart from competitors like the Jeep Compass and Mitsubishi Outlander Sport.
Fuel Economy and Real-World MPG
The 2024 Kia Seltos boasts commendable fuel efficiency, making it a practical choice for those conscious of their running costs. According to EPA estimates:
- 2.0-liter Four-Cylinder: Front-wheel-drive models achieve an estimated 34 mpg on the highway.
- Turbocharged 1.6-liter Four-Cylinder: All-wheel-drive models with the turbo engine manage an estimated 32 mpg on the highway.
These figures are promising and indicate that the Seltos is a fuel-efficient option in the subcompact SUV category.
Interior, Comfort, and Cargo Space
Inside the Seltos, you’ll discover a spacious and well-appointed cabin that outshines many competitors in terms of comfort and quality. Notably, it offers more passenger and cargo space than the Hyundai Kona, making it an excellent choice for families and road trips.
The materials used in the cabin exude a sense of refinement, giving the Seltos an upscale feel. The SX trim even includes interior ambient lighting that can sync with music, adding a fun and immersive element to your drive.
Cargo capacity is another strong suit of the Seltos. With rear seats folded, it can accommodate an impressive 20 carry-on suitcases, and even with seats in place, it offers 63 cubic feet of cargo space.
Infotainment and Connectivity
For 2024, the Seltos receives a significant update to its infotainment system. The centerpiece of the dashboard is now a seamless panel that combines a digital gauge display with an infotainment touchscreen. This setup, optional on some trims, provides a modern and cohesive look.
The Seltos comes equipped with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility, ensuring seamless smartphone integration. Additionally, optional features like SiriusXM satellite radio and an onboard Wi-Fi hotspot cater to tech-savvy consumers.
Safety and Driver-Assistance Features
Kia prioritizes safety with a suite of standard driver-assistance technologies on the Seltos. These include:
- Automated Emergency Braking: Equipped with pedestrian and cyclist detection.
- Lane-Departure Warning: Enhanced with lane-keeping assist.
- Available Adaptive Cruise Control: Featuring a lane-centering feature.
While these features provide a solid foundation for safety, advanced options like adaptive cruise control are available for those who desire additional peace of mind. To assess the Seltos’s safety performance, you can refer to crash-test results from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS).
Warranty and Maintenance Coverage
Kia stands out in the industry by offering an exceptional warranty package, including:
- Limited Warranty: Covers 5 years or 60,000 miles.
- Powertrain Warranty: Extends to an impressive 10 years or 100,000 miles.
Unfortunately, Kia does not provide complimentary scheduled maintenance, but the extensive warranty coverage more than compensates for this omission. It’s worth noting that Kia’s sister company, Hyundai, offers a similar warranty, ensuring long-term peace of mind for Seltos owners.
For those who appreciate technical details, here are the key specifications for the 2024 Kia Seltos SX Turbo AWD:
- Price: Base/As Tested: $31,315/$31,490
- Engine: Turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 16-valve inline-4, 195 hp @ 6000 rpm, 195 lb-ft @ 1600 rpm
- Transmission: 8-speed automatic
- Chassis: Suspension – struts/multilink, Brakes – 12.0-in vented disc/11.0-in disc, Tires – Kumho Majesty 9 Solus TA91 235/45R-18 94V M+S
- Dimensions: Wheelbase – 103.5 in, Length – 172.6 in, Width – 70.9 in, Height – 64.0 in, Passenger Volume, F/R – 53/46 ft³, Cargo Volume, Behind F/R – 63/27 ft³, Curb Weight – 3294 lb
- C/D Test Results: 60 mph – 6.9 sec, 1/4-Mile – 15.4 sec @ 92 mph, 100 mph – 19.0 sec, 120 mph – 34.8 sec, Rolling Start, 5–60 mph – 7.4 sec, Top Gear, 30–50 mph – 4.2 sec, Top Gear, 50–70 mph – 4.9 sec, Top Speed (C/D est) – 130 mph, Braking, 70–0 mph – 166 ft, Roadholding, 300-ft Skidpad – 0.83 g
- C/D Fuel Economy: Observed – 25 mpg, 75-mph Highway Driving – 32 mpg, 75-mph Highway Range – 420 mi
- EPA Fuel Economy: Combined/City/Highway – 26/25/27 mpg
In summary, the 2024 Kia Seltos stands out as a strong contender in the subcompact SUV segment. Its combination of style, interior comfort, advanced technology, and engaging performance make it an appealing choice for a wide range of buyers. Whether you’re navigating city streets or embarking on weekend adventures, the Seltos offers a compelling package that’s sure to satisfy.
If you’re in the market for a subcompact crossover that strikes a balance between style and functionality, the 2024 Kia Seltos deserves a spot on your shortlist. With its attractive pricing, generous warranty coverage, and newfound enhancements, it’s poised to make a lasting impression in the competitive world of small SUVs.