The BMW 7-Series has always been the epitome of luxury and performance in the automotive world. As we step into 2023, BMW has unveiled an entirely new generation of the 7-Series, setting new standards in the luxury sedan segment. This flagship sedan from BMW continues to impress with its powerful engine options, cutting-edge technology, and opulent interior. In this comprehensive review, we’ll dive deep into what makes the 2023 BMW 7-Series a true modern marvel.
The 2023 BMW 7-Series marks the dawn of a new era for BMW’s flagship sedan. With a starting price of $96,695, it doesn’t come cheap, but it’s worth every penny for those who seek the pinnacle of automotive luxury. Whether you’re chauffeured around or prefer to be behind the wheel, the 7-Series caters to your desires with a range of powertrains and features that ensure a serene and connected experience.
What’s New for 2023?
The 7-Series has undergone a complete redesign for the 2023 model year, ushering in a new era of luxury and technology. The exterior styling is bolder and more striking, signaling a departure from the traditional design language. Inside, the cabin is even more lavish, boasting futuristic technology and a plush atmosphere that rivals the best in the industry.
Pricing and Model Options
The 2023 BMW 7-Series is available in two main models:
- 740i – Starting at $96,695, the 740i is powered by a turbocharged inline-six engine. It offers a silky-smooth driving experience and is available exclusively with rear-wheel drive.
- 760i xDrive – Priced at $117,395, the 760i xDrive is the top-tier model equipped with a twin-turbocharged V-8 engine. This powerhouse comes with all-wheel drive, providing impressive acceleration and control.
For those seeking the ultimate luxury experience, consider adding the optional Executive Lounge package. It offers power-adjustable reclining rear seats with massage functions and complements the car’s cool 31.3-inch Theater Screen rear-seat entertainment system. The Theater Screen can stream content via the car’s onboard Wi-Fi hotspot, ensuring that passengers are always entertained.
Engine, Transmission, and Performance
The 2023 BMW 7-Series offers two potent engine options:
- 740i: Under its hood, you’ll find a 375-horsepower turbocharged 3.0-liter inline-six engine. This powerplant is paired with a 48-volt hybrid system and rear-wheel drive, making it both efficient and spirited. BMW estimates a 0-60 mph time of just 5.0 seconds.
- 760i xDrive: The top-of-the-line 760i xDrive packs a 536-horsepower twin-turbocharged 4.4-liter V-8 engine, along with all-wheel drive. With the help of a 48-volt hybrid system, it can sprint to 60 mph in a mere 4.2 seconds, showcasing its exhilarating performance. In fact, during testing, the 760i xDrive achieved a 0-60 mph time of just 3.5 seconds.
The 7-Series boasts an air suspension, rear-wheel steering, and adaptive dampers, contributing to a more agile and comfortable ride. While it’s not a sports car, it surprises with its nimbleness, making it a pleasure to drive.
Fuel Economy and Real-World MPG
For the eco-conscious, the 740i offers respectable fuel economy with estimated ratings of 25 mpg in the city and 31 mpg on the highway. However, if you opt for the V-8-powered 760i xDrive with all-wheel drive, those numbers drop slightly to 18 mpg in the city and 26 mpg on the highway. Impressively, the 760i xDrive achieved an impressive 30 mpg during our 75-mph highway fuel-economy test. For precise EPA ratings, you can visit their official website.
Interior, Comfort, and Cargo
Inside the 2023 BMW 7-Series, you’ll discover a realm of opulence and comfort. The cabin is adorned with rich leathers, stainless steel accents, and exquisite glass and wood trim. The attention to detail is remarkable, and for those with discerning tastes, there’s even a new cashmere upholstery option.
Passenger space is generous in both the front and rear, but it’s in the rear where the 7-Series truly shines, especially when equipped with the Executive Lounge package. This package includes power-adjustable reclining rear seats with massage functions, a wireless smartphone charging pad for the rear seat area, and adjustable neck cushions on the headrests.
Cargo space is ample for a full-size luxury sedan, and a rear-seat pass-through allows for the transportation of longer items, such as skis or luggage.
Infotainment and Connectivity
The 7-Series features a modern and intuitive infotainment system. It adopts a dashboard layout similar to the iX SUV, complete with a large digital gauge display and an infotainment touchscreen under the same glass panel. The displays offer crisp resolution and quick responses, providing a seamless user experience.
Initially equipped with BMW’s iDrive 8 infotainment software, the 7-Series has since received a free over-the-air update to iDrive 8.5, further enhancing its capabilities. An optional rear-seat entertainment system, known as the Theater Screen, steals the show with its massive 31.3-inch display that deploys from the car’s ceiling. Passengers can enjoy content via touchscreen displays integrated into the door panels, thanks to an onboard 5G cellular data connection.
Safety and Driver-Assistance Features
BMW has equipped the 2023 7-Series with a range of advanced driver-assistance features, ensuring safety and convenience. Notable features include:
- Standard automated emergency braking with pedestrian detection
- Standard lane-departure warning with lane-keeping assist
- Available adaptive cruise control with a semi-autonomous driving mode
Additionally, there’s a new hands-free driving mode for highway use and an updated parking assistant feature that allows the driver to exit the vehicle and park it remotely via a smartphone app. For detailed crash-test results, you can refer to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) websites.
Warranty and Maintenance Coverage
BMW stands behind the 7-Series with an impressive warranty and maintenance package:
- Limited warranty covers four years or 50,000 miles
- Powertrain warranty covers four years or 50,000 miles
- Complimentary maintenance is covered for three years or 36,000 miles
Notably, every 7-Series comes with a three-year or 36,000-mile complimentary scheduled maintenance plan, a perk that sets it apart from rivals like Audi and Mercedes-Benz. The Volvo S90 and the Genesis G90 offer similar maintenance plans, but the G90 boasts longer warranty terms.
- 2023 BMW 760i xDrive
- Vehicle Type: Front-engine, all-wheel-drive, 5-passenger, 4-door sedan
- Base/As Tested: $117,395/$151,845
- Rear Executive Lounge Seating (reclining seat and footrest, Executive Lounge rear console, BMW Theater Screen): $7250
- BMW Individual Composition (Alcantara headliner): $5450
- Bowers & Wilkins sound system: $4800
- Executive package (automatic doors, crystal headlights, front massaging seats): $3700
- Autobahn package (Active Comfort Drive w/ preview, active roll stabilization): $3600
- Luxury Rear Seating package (multifunction rear seats, rear massaging seats): $3000
- Driving Assistance Pro package (Active Driving Assistant Pro, Highway Assistant): $2100
- 21-inch M Aerodynamic Jet Black wheels: $1300
- Climate Comfort laminated glass: $1300
- M Sport Professional package: $950
- Parking Assistance package (Parking Assistant Professional, surround view w/ 3D view): $900
- Interior camera: $100
- Twin-turbocharged DOHC 32-valve V-8, aluminum block and heads, direct fuel injection
- Displacement: 268 in³, 4395 cm³
- Power: 536 hp @ 6500 rpm
- Torque: 553 lb-ft @ 1800 rpm
- 8-speed automatic
- Suspension, F/R: Multilink, air springs, active anti-roll bar/multilink, air springs, active anti-roll bar
- Brakes, F/R: 15.6-in vented disc/15.7-in vented disc
- Tires: Pirelli P Zero PZ4
- F: 255/40R-21 (102Y) PNCS ★
- R: 285/35R-21 (105Y) ★
- Wheelbase: 126.6 in
- Length: 212.2 in
- Width: 76.8 in
- Height: 60.8 in
- Passenger Volume, F/R: 58/54 ft³
- Trunk Volume: 19 ft³
- Curb Weight: 5317 lb
C/D TEST RESULTS
- 60 mph: 3.5 sec
- 100 mph: 8.6 sec
- 1/4-Mile: 11.9 sec @ 117 mph
- 130 mph: 14.7 sec
- Rolling Start, 5–60 mph: 4.7 sec
- Top Gear, 30–50 mph: 2.5 sec
- Top Gear, 50–70 mph: 3.0 sec
- Top Speed (gov ltd): 156 mph
- Braking, 70–0 mph: 160 ft
- Braking, 100–0 mph: 331 ft
- Roadholding, 300-ft Skidpad: 0.89 g
C/D FUEL ECONOMY
- Observed: 20 mpg
- 75-mph Highway Driving: 30 mpg
- 75-mph Highway Range: 580 mi
The 2023 BMW 7-Series has arrived to redefine the luxury sedan segment. With its bold new design, powerful engine options, and a plethora of technology and comfort features, it’s a statement of opulence and sophistication. Whether you’re in the driver’s seat or relaxing in the rear, the 7-Series pampers its occupants like never before. With a starting price of $96,695, it’s a true luxury investment.
In conclusion, the 2023 BMW 7-Series is a masterpiece that combines elegance with exhilaration. It offers a serene and agile driving experience while providing passengers with a cocoon of luxury.